Monday, August 24, 2015

Carla and a Mission!

It was good to hear all the stories of this week!! Congrats Eric and Noelle for the baby!!!! Super excited to meet all the little ones! It’s weird to see pictures.... they grow up so fast! Ha-ha I love telling people about my family and showing them pictures and then they turned to me and say either `you’re going to be the ultimate lonely aunt` or `you better get married and have kids. ` Such a great future to look forward to! 
This next week is transfers. I have no idea what will happen. Part of me really wants to stay in Matosinhos and another part says that I’m leaving. If I stay it’ll be 6 months in this area. I wouldn’t mind but I could only stay here with Sister Elliott. With anyone else, it just would be weird. But one of us is leaving. Got to love transfers...(I actually don’t).
This week we did a lot of work with the less active members. The Elders and us have actually split the work in our area. We have over 300 less active members in one part of our area so we’ve been working really hard to get them to come to church. We could create 3 wards in just my area... It’s crazy!!! So for 2 days we went with the Elders to tackle some of them. We also had a few members give us address to a few more. It was quite the week of rescuing! It just made me realize how covenants and salvation aren’t something you should play with. It’s much harder to reactivate than it is to baptize and that’s the saddest part. They’ve forgotten.  But we’re going to save them!!! 
Also, we always go visit Familia Castro because she has to take care of 2 sick people. Brother Castro actually has ALS and Alzheimer’s. I know all to well what that is. It was a spiritual experience for me. I remember the room got really quite and grandpa was there. I felt him so close when she was talking about Brother Castro. I heard the words, `It’s over Sister Hillam. It passed and I’m okay. I’m here. ` He’s here in Portugal with me. He’s teaching and speaking to these people with me. It’s great knowing and feeling him here with me. So special. 
Oh so for the past 3 weeks I’ve had REALLY bad bug bites. Come to find out I had an allergic reaction to the mosquitoes here and my legs got really bad bubbles. Went to the hospital and got medication and creme that I have to put on them. Its pretty nasty stuff that happened to my legs. I’ll send some pics of it! Got to love diseases! 
The rest of the week our recent convert Carla walked with us!! She is so incredible!!! She wants to be a missionary so for the past week she’s met with us for 4 of the days. She wanted to teach and pray and do everything with us. She’s prepping to go on a mission and she even brought her non-member friend to teach with us. She’s already being a missionary with her family and her neighbors! This week she turned to me and said, `Sister Hillam, I want you here when I go through the temple, and when I buy my clothes, and when I’m about ready to leave. I want you to be here for all of it. ` I just wanted to cry!!! SHE`S AMAZING!!!!!!! I will be here when she get’s ready to go. No doubt about it. She already said that I’d stay in her house while I’m there. She’s so excited!! I`M SO EXCITED!!!! I think I’m more excited then she is. Every time we go out together she talks about her mission and where she wants to serve. So wonderful!!! If I get transferred, I’m going to miss her so much. 
I love the mission. I learned a lot about patience this week. We can’t control the outcome but we can control our attitudes about the situation. That’s what counts. On the outside looking in, the situation probably looks horrific but for me, it’s a comedy. All you can do is laugh and keep going! Time won’t stop so why should you stop and mope about it. Get up and Get at it! Work harder! Laugh more! Christ doesn’t like sad followers. He always tried to lift those around them. Don’t be stubborn and let Him lift you! Find the good in the situation. I love you family so much! You all mean the world to me. Keep safe and REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU STAND FOR!
Love,
Sister Hillam

´RETURN WITH HONOR` 

No comments:

Post a Comment